Finding a good dog walker is a job within itself. Your dogs are like your children and you want to make sure they are in the best care possible while you are at work, on vacation or simply need help with the responsibilities that come along with pet ownership.
Here are 10 characteristics to look out for when seeking a professional who will be patient, attentive and kind to your pup.
A great candidate for the position will:
- Pay close attention to the dog and the environment at all times.
- Not use his/her cell phone while walking the dog.
- Notice how dogs reacts to the environment around them and adjust accordingly when the dog is not comfortable.
- Be prepared with treats, water and baggies.
- Use positive reinforcement when the dog exhibits good behavior and not become frustrated with the dog easily.
- Have positive work references.
- Get along well with your dog.
- Be willing to go on a “test walk” with you and your dog.
- Have knowledge of doggy first aid.
- Have ample time to commit to dog walking.
Knowing what to look for in a potential dog walker will help you find the perfect match for you and your canine companion!