Keeping your Dog Safe during Halloween
During Halloween, calls to the vet section of the poison helpline increase by 12%!
Help keep your dog safe by keeping weary of the three C’s:
CANDY | COSTUMES | CANDLES
CANDY: Keep the candy out of his/her mouth! This one is pretty obvious so we’ll get it out of the way first. Things like chocolate and even grapes can be very poisonous to your pet so keep them away. Use this simple rule of thumb: if you’re not sure if it’s safe for your dog to eat, don’t take the chance. Remember to put away any spare candy or empty wrappers. Your dog is not one to discriminate when it comes to munching on something. That means down goes the candy…and the wrapper- which could lead to breathing issues and even choking.
Costumes: This one applies to costumes on your pet and on you as well. Make sure any costume you put on your dog is comfortable and unrestricting. Make sure your pet can see, move and breathe properly. Costumes usually come with many small parts which can be ingested by your dog, so watch out for any loose pieces. Things like glow sticks and glow jewelry are among favorites in the category of forbidden chew toys. While usually not life-threatening, their contents can cause pain and irritation in the mouth as well as profuse drooling and foaming at the mouth.
Candles: Halloween is a time to get spooky and somehow that usually involves eerie lighting. Keep candles way out of reach of curious noses and wagging tails. Fido may not realize it’s hot until they’ve just burned themselves.