A Pet’s Guide to Poison Prevention

As a pet parent our number one responsibility is to keep our four-legged friends safe. Oftentimes this is easier said than done, but that doesn’t mean we can shirk our duty to our furbabies. Each year, numerous curious canines and wandering felines fall victim to poisonous accidents, many of which could have been avoided. Sometimes the biggest obstacle to overcome as pet parents is knowledge. It is our job to know which items in our homes are pet safe and which are not. This distinction could mean life or death for our precious pets. Luckily, we have grouped together some of the top poisonous items most commonly found in households to keep out of paw’s reach.

 

Suggested: Pet Safety: Outdoor Pests Edition

 

 

  • Human Medications. Both prescription and over the counter medications may cause harm to our beloved pets. These drugs are not meant for pets; the ingredients and dosages found in them could have a dangerous effect on our companion animals. In order to keep our snooping dogs safe, be sure to keep all medications out of their reach. Training our pets to steer clear of pills that have accidentally fallen to the floor can help avoid a trip to the vet. You may also think about monitoring the amount of pills in your medication bottles at any given time and take medications in the same area; this will allow pets to know that area at a certain time of day is off limits to them.
  • Insecticides. More often than not, our purring pals fall victim to insecticide poisoning. Common insecticides used both in the home and for outdoor purposes have the possibility to harm our felines and canines alike. Airborne by nature, insecticides are more difficult for pets to avoid, so be sure to monitor their behavior when you use them. If you notice any changes, be sure to contact your veterinarian at once. Remember, insecticide poisoning can be minimal or appear overtime and any out of the ordinary behavior may be a result of a delayed reaction or poisonous incident.
  • Lawn and Garden. While it is a source of pride to have a bountiful garden and the greenest lawn possible, greenery may be a source of poison to our pets. It may not be the lawn or garden itself, but the items used to keep your grass green or allow your plants to grow. If your garden or lawn has been freshly sprayed with pesticides or fertilizers, furry friends should not be outside or near those areas until the suggested wait time has passed. It is also important to note that there are many plants that are poisonous to both cats and dogs; as pet parents we should consider avoiding those for a more pet-friendly plant option.
  • Human Foods. Now we all know that chocolate isn’t safe for our pets, but there are other dangerous foods out there as well. Both grapes and raisins may also be hazardous and cause kidney failure if ingested by our barking buddies. Also be aware of your four-legged friends intake of garlic or onions, as these foods may cause an upset stomach or even blood cell damage. Lastly, xylitol may cause liver damage if our pets get their paws on this artificial sweetener, which is usually found in sugarless gum.

While harm may come to our pets from any number of sources, these are some of the most common pet poisons to be aware of. It is always important to watch your curious canines and felines as they explore the world around them. Be sure to contact your local veterinarian if you believe your pet is suffering from a poisonous accident.

Read More: An Elderly Dog’s Guide to Aging

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.