The type of floors you choose for your home will not only need to be perfect for you, but for your dogs too. Finding pet-friendly flooring you love that can also handle the wear and tear of pets might sound like a challenge, but it’s entirely possible! Here’s what you should keep in mind.
- Scratch resistance: Dogs can do a lot of damage with their nails when running, playing in the house, or even just walking around.
- Water and stain resistance: Whether your pup isn’t potty trained or is simply more prone to accidents, spills, and messes, water and stain resistance is crucial to the longevity of your floors.
- Upkeep: Choosing floors that are easy to maintain will make your life easier as a pet owner.
- Comfort: Different pet-friendly flooring types offer different levels of comfort for your dogs.
- Cost: You should find floors that offer a good return on investment and work with your budget.
Types of pet-friendly flooring
There are certain types of flooring that check most of these boxes. Here are some of the most dog-friendly floor types to look for:
- Tile: a frequent go-to choice for pet owners, tile can withstand any mess and is quick and easy to clean.
- Luxury vinyl: This is one of the most durable and waterproof flooring materials available, and today’s vinyl options can mimic the look of genuine hardwood or other types of more expensive floors.
- Laminate: Laminate is known for its durability, which makes it a great option for highly active or rambunctious pets.
- Engineered hardwood: If you can’t part with the look of natural hardwood floors, this is a cost-effective alternative that lasts longer.
While no flooring is 100% pet-proof, it’s entirely possible to find floors that work for both you and your pup. For a visual guide on how to choose dog-friendly flooring for your home, check out the infographic below!